Thursday 21 April 2011

Review 3: D.Gray-Man

   Another shonen manga review. I'm going to warn everyone now, I don't know how long this is going to be. Probably pretty long. Again. Well, without further ado, let's get started.

   I just finished reading the fifth volume of D.Gray-Man, so I'm really not that far along. The series is about an exorcist, Allen Walker, who kills demons, Akuma. The Akuma are really souls of dead people fused to machines, they're usually created by desperate loved ones of the deceased with the help of the Millenium Earl (he's the guy who makes the machine parts of the Akuma and fuses the souls to them. He's also the main antagonist and is ALSO trying to destroy the world. He has a very large smile, a tophat, and a talking umbrella. He's a pretty cool guy). Back to the point, these Akuma, once created, then kill other people and wear their skin, as to blend in with the humans. Allen has an anti-Akuma weapon in his hand, and also has a curse on his eye to be able to see the souls of Akuma. Allen is a member of the Black Order, a league of excorcists and other people who are trying to prevent the Millenium Earl and those in cahoots with him from destroying the world. And now to the review part.

   As with the last two series, I really enjoyed this one also. It is quite a bit darker than what I've read of Fairy Tail and One Piece, both in artwork and plot. I really like the artwork, it is a little bit more advanced, and I must say that the artist seems to go to great lengths for details. However, the artwork isn't crowded or over detailed, as most of the detail comes in in the Akuma, the machinery and the merging of the machinery with flesh. And that sounds weird. The artist uses a lot more darker tones and blacks that really help set the atmosphere for the story, which really adds to the whole thing. The plot so far seems fairly mysterious and complicated, but it really keeps you reading to find out the motives of the characters and their 'shrouded-in-mystery' type pasts. Another part that I really found refreshing was the main character. Instead of the usual shonen 'rude insensitive idiot' character, Allen is well mannered and polite, and in general a nice guy. A nice change. Even though I love the idiot heroes, I do like Allen as a main character also. A few rambunctious idiots are introduced to the story later on, so if thats what floats your boat then don't worry, they're there.

   To sum up, D.Gray-Man is a good read if you like action, and it does have a little humour at the not so serious moments, and some to break up the quite serious moments. All in all I would recommend it, but VIZ calls it an 'advanced read' so if you only like the happy-happy-bright-bright stuff or mostly comedy then it might not be for you. Oh dear. And I thought this review might be short.

   Also, thanks to http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EGTHECE9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg for the picture.

  

2 comments:

  1. Another interesting-sounding manga. I really must find time to actually read these at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just go on mangareader. And yeah I would actually recommend this one. I quite enjoy it. You also might like Hellsing. Though I'm not quite sure if you'd like it, it's okay. A bit bloody and vulgar though.

    ReplyDelete